Why Women Lead


I am very grateful that Crandall University has begun offering free public lectures this year. In January I attended “5 reasons why youth leave the church”, and this month I attended “why women don’t lead” presented by Dr. John Stackhouse. Given that I am a woman who leads, and it’s women’s history month, I figured I’d offer some reflections of my own.

I am a woman, and an ordained Pastor in the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches. I am not getting in to the theology debate here. There is plenty of that already written. I grew up in a church where equality in leadership was normal. I also grew up in a home where leadership was based on the giftings of my parents, which I am so incredibly grateful for. Because of this, I didn’t even know it was an issue in the church until I went to seminary. I think my upbringing gave me the ability to work through the “discussion” as I completed my studies, and became the first female at my SFE placement to get a church license to minister. (Since then many more have — woohoo!).

In the Crandall lecture, gender stereotypes were addressed, but possibly not explored enough. I have a theory that our culture has very tiny boxes that men and women are supposed to fit in. And if you don’t fit, then there’s something wrong with you. I think this is why some women don’t lead, why some men are jerks, and why some even begin to question their gender identity.

I am a woman. I am now married, but wasn’t until I was 30. I have no children. I am the natural leader in our home, though both of us do what we are best at (for me that’s budgeting, vacation planning, cleaning; and for Jordan that’s cooking, pet care, and date nights!). I am matter-of-fact and a thinker; he is sensitive and a feeler. I get stuff done and worry about people later; he ensures everyone is OK before a task is considered.

None of this makes me any less of a woman or him any less of a man.

In his lecture Stackhouse commented on Jesus’ leadership style in Scripture…. would Jesus even fit today’s stereotype of what it means to be a man??? Probably not! And he is the greatest leader that ever walked this earth. All this “be a man” garbage some churches propagate… Jesus wouldn’t fit the bill. He wouldn’t be permitted to speak!

I think we need to do away completely with gender stereotypes. I believe each person is uniquely wired and gifted to do certain things while on this earth. And I think very little of it has to do with whether you are male or female. Based on our likes, gifts, and talents, we should each be empowered to do what God is calling us to do. How dare we read our culture bias onto Scripture, and thwart people from living out God’s call on their lives!

I can’t believe it’s 2016 and this is still a thing. I hope and pray that the church will smarten up and lead the way when it comes to treating all of God’s people with dignity and respect. If God gave someone the spiritual gift of leadership, let them lead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids Ministry post Covid

Dealing with discipline (in NextGen ministry)

Perspective